The Highlight of My Year

Was watching my dad get baptized today. :)

Six months ago, he called me out of the blue, saying that if I was going to church on Sunday, he "might be willing" to come with me (I had tried, unsuccessfully, to bring him to church a couple times already). At that time, our relationship was bad. We hardly spoke, and none of my immediate family wanted anything to do with him. But I took his call as a sign of God stirring.

Over the past six months, God has astounded me to tears at how He can turn broken lives, broken relationships, and broken families, and make something GLORIOUS out of them. I have not seen my dad as joyful as he is now, literally since I was about five. And over the past six months, God has laid His hand on my heart, releasing me from unforgiveness and infusing my heart with love and compassion as my "just-a-biological-father" gradually, yet suddenly, became my brother in Christ. When I was not able to love, I thank God that He gave me Joseph, who's ministered to him every week and shown him what the love of God truly looks and feels like. As I've gone with my dad to attend the Chinese service every Sunday at my church, I've also grown to love my own church more and more, witnessing their fervent love in reaching out to my dad, and their passion for Jesus. Miraculously, Joseph and I also befriended a homeless lady at Starbucks whom we found out later was meeting with my dad every week in the park to study the Bible with him. And how can I forget our remnant of prayer warriors in City of Industry House of Prayer, who contend weekly for family restoration and salvation. The gospel requires teamwork to go forth, and it's beautiful that way.

Today I watched as he answered confidently and proudly that Jesus is his Savior. I didn't expect it to be emotional at all, so was quite surprised when I could not help but bawl as I held my videocamera (so please excuse the shakiness). What a story He's written! What hope is proven by my broken family touched by the love of God. What joy as I look back at how hardened my heart was toward this one family member, who is now the man I proudly call my brother in Christ..and my dad. :)









Comments

A. Manullang said…
Hey, just saw this today. Praise the Lord! He works in ways we cannot see.

Popular posts from this blog

Joyful Invitation

The Worth of Hiddenness

His Proposal, My Reflections