Joy in Understanding

I received a revelation today while driving. I was thinking and wondering why other people seem to have such smooth routes in life (at least, career-wise). They get their degrees, they get a good job, and they start making good money. For me, the Lord seemed to have led me through so many valleys. And not just career-wise, but things were difficult with family, my parents' divorce, my voice, etc. But God showed me, particularly through these past few years of struggling in my career, that He led me through these valleys to refine me. It was so that I could have compassion for and help other people along in their struggles. If things went smoothly for me like they did for other people, I would have much less empathy for people with financial struggles. I wouldn't have known the difficulty of instability and things gone wrong, of being almost at a place of poverty and family relationships breaking down because of it. The same goes for all the other difficulties I've gone through. When I think about where I am now, as God is gradually prospering me and has also given me a group of young girls for me to shepherd and speak into their lives, all the hardships I despised before now become so precious to me. It was the Lord's hand in growing me and maturing me so that I could bear fruit--through compassion, empathy, understanding what other people are going through. My experiences are gems now to me.

I have been learning more about the character and humility of Paul, his commitment and sacrifice for the church, and how he wept over those he shepherded. It's a great joy to know the Lord is refining me in the same ways He refined Paul. He wrote in Phillipians, "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joyful Invitation

The Worth of Hiddenness

His Proposal, My Reflections